Mazda has been having a couple of successful years as of recent with vehicles like the new Mazda CX-5, Mazda6 and the Mazda3. Well, Mazda is now getting into the subcompact crossover segment with the new CX-3.
The 2016 Mazda CX-3 originally made its debut at the 2014 LA Auto Show. Based on the Mazda3, the CX-3 crossover offers a more utilitarian purpose for those living in urban areas. Of course, the all-wheel-drive option adds another benefit for those living in cold-weather states.
“We wanted to send a strong statement that new buyers, early adopters, empty-nesters and right-sizers can get everything they want in a crossover that fits their needs,” said Jim O’Sullivan, president and CEO, MNAO. “CX-3 offers the same technologies and thrilling driving experience seen across the rest of Mazda’s award-winning lineup that we believe will be a great gateway to the Mazda brand.”
Let’s take a look at the 2016 Mazda CX-3 and find out top 10 things you should know about this new subcompact crossover.
1. Based on the Mazda3, the Mazda CX-3 is a crossover that offers more interior cabin and cargo room. The Mazda CX-3 sites on a wheelbase that measures 101.2 inches and has an overall length of 168.3 inches, a width of 69.5 inches and a height of 61 inches.
2. So is the size the only difference between the Mazda CX-3 and the Mazda3? Well, not really. For an extra $1,250 you can get the Mazda’s i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive system.
3. With that in mind, the Mazda CX-3 competes with the likes of the Fiat 500X, Nissan Juke, Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade, Chevrolet Trax and the Buick Encore.
4. Power for the 2016 Mazda CX-3 comes from a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine making 146 horsepower and a peak torque of 146 lb-ft. The engine is mated to a SKYACTIV-DRIVE six-speed automatic transmission in a front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configuration.
5. What about performance? 0 to 60 mph comes in 8.1 seconds with a top speed of 120 mph.
6. Let’s talk about fuel-economy. The 2016 Mazda CX-3 in a front-wheel-drive configuration averages an EPA-rated 29/35 mpg** (city/highway) or 31 mpg combined. With the i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive system, the Mazda CX-3 averages 27/32 mpg** (city/highway) or 29 mpg combined.
7. The 2016 CX-3 also gets the SKYACTIV-CHASSIS, which delivers enhanced levels of comfort thanks to a revised suspension and steering functions.
8. All 2016 Mazda CX-3 models also come with Mazda Connect system which is a seven-inch, full-color touchscreen infotainment system that is integrated with a commander control knob and Bluetooth hands-free phone pairing and audio streaming. Mazda Connect also adds phone control connectivity, radio, and internet radio services like Pandora and Aha by Harmon. Navigation is available as an option.
9. Following the base Mazda CX-3 Sport, the CX-3 Touring adds leatherette seating with cloth inserts, heated seats, Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM), Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA), Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry, heated door mirrors, a center armrest and leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter. Buyers can add the optional Touring Technology Package adds a one-touch power moonroof, SiriusXM and HD radio and a rear cargo cover. The top-of-the-line CX-3 Grand Touring adds a one-touch power moonroof, navigation, Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), Active Driving Display pop-up head-up display, leather and Lux Suede two-toned seats, a seven-speaker Bose premium audio system with SiriusXM satellite and HD radio, a rear cargo cover, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and LED headlights, fog lights, daytime running lights and tail lights. The Grand Touring also offers an optional i-ACTIVSENSE package that adds Mazda Radar Cruise Control, Smart City Brake Support, Smart Brake Support, High Beam Control System, Lane Departure Warning System, rain-sensing wipers and auto on/off headlights.
10. The 2016 Mazda CX-3 MSRP pricing comes in at:
- CX-3 Sport: $19,960*
- CX-3 Touring: $21,960*
- Touring Technology Package: $1,410*
- CX-3 Grand Touring: $24,990*
- i-ACTIVSENSE safety package: $1,920*
Drop by your local AutoNation Mazda dealership to see one in person!
*MSRP excluding tax, license, registration, destination charge and options. Dealer prices may vary.
**Based on 2016 EPA mileage ratings. Your mileage will vary depending specific vehicle trim, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, and other factors.