Ford and innovation go together like football and beer. From the creation of the assembly line to the new and improved SYNC 3, Ford Motor Company is no stranger to changing the playing field. Their signature pickup trucks, the Ford F-Series, have earned them not only the title of top-selling truck for forty years, but also, the the best-selling vehicle for 35 years. In fact in 2016, the Ford F-Series truck sold at a rate of one per minute.
Light-duty full-size pickups are all the rage, and with Ford, the F-Series truck crushed it in 2017, working their voodoo magic to become better yet than ever. It’s no surprise the ingenuity was implemented across the board, from the no-frills base model F-150 to the hearty Ford F-150 Raptor to the serious Super Duty, straight up to the high-end Limited variant.
Awards Won (so far) by the F-Series in 2017:
Pickup Truck Best Buy – 2017 Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Awards
Best Full-Size Pickup – Car and Driver 2017 10Best Awards
Best Full-Size Truck – U.S. News 2017 Best Cars for the Money Awards
Best Truck of the Year – Autobytel.com 2017 Buyer’s Choice Awards
Most Wanted Large Truck – 2017 Edmunds Most Wanted Awards
What Else is New for the F-Series in 2017?
- EcoBoost® Engines hold their own and can do everything the oldschool V8 engines do—more efficiently, with enhanced acceleration and power
- The 3.5L EcoBoost® engine delivers up to 12,200-lb maximum tow rating (when properly equipped)
- All-new 10-speed transmission for improved acceleration and performance with wider gear spacing and drag reductions
- Better fuel economy at highway speeds comes courtesy of lower numerical rear-axle ratios
- Best-in-class torque
- Back up with confidence: the Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ system can remove the mystery from reversing a trailer
- The Ford F-150 Raptor debuted for the first time in China this year
Ford F-Series Super Duty in 2017
The redesign of the F-Series Super Duty pickup truck earned it five out of five stars in the Power Circle Rating of the 2017 JD Power’s Initial Quality Study (IQS). The J.D. Power’s Study looks at satisfaction of new vehicle owners over the course of the first 90 days of ownership, at key broad spectrum categories.
High scores overall can be a direct result of improvements made this year to the Super Duty models, including:
- Stronger engines and modernized powertrains
- Aluminum body with a high-strength steel frame (24 times stiffer than the 2016 model)
- Improved towing capacity and payload
- Robust safety, media and convenience features *including SYNC 3 capacity
- New 1st of its Kind Towing Assistance: Trailer Braking, Hill Descent Assist, Adaptive Steering and Trailer Reverse Guidance (with up to 7 cameras)
The 2017 Ford Super Duty wins Best-in-Class performance in all towing categories with the F-450 SuperCrew 4×4 topping out at 32,500 pounds. Engines available with the Super Duty include the 6.2 liter V8 that generates 385-hp and a staggering 430 lb-ft of torque and a 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbo diesel engine that emits 440-hp and an astonishing 925 lb-ft of torque. Crazy? Perhaps. But true.
In fact, overall, Ford is now the Number Two Non-Premium Brand this year in the IQS study. While some automotive groups have lagged in trending areas like connectivity and driver’s assist features, Ford is doing things like making SYNC 3 available in 70 percent of all vehicles in their fleet. SYNC 3 is the latest release of Ford’s communication and entertainment system, this iteration having worked out prior bugs for significant improvements and with a fresh new design, user-friendly, intuitive interface, and the popular software is now available in a wider array of languages. There is also improved voice recognition and touchscreen functionality with Bluetooth connectivity.
With a cool $9 billion in its pocket for future innovation, you can bet 2018 will bring even more Midas Touches to Ford’s F-Series. More upgrades in technology, engines, and exterior style are on the horizon. For now, we can always visit the award-winning 2017 Ford F-Series pickup trucks at our local AutoNation Ford dealerships.